Monday, October 22, 2007

updates..(and a little whining!)

OK, had a repeat CT scan of the lungs tonight, per the nurse, the report said....significantly less clots notices. Now, I was actually discouraged by this because I had that TPA therapy, which was supposed to break the clots and my understanding was they ALL would be gone, not just some of them. Well, they're not. So, now I wait to hear what the pulmonologist has to say. Actually, I was crushed because I thought everything was going to work out perfectly and all the nasty clots would be gone. They also repeated the Echocardiogram, now, here they did find some improvements. I don't know what the exact measurements are supposed to be, but they were half of what they were on Saturday, which the tech said was they were now in the "normal ranges." So, that was good news. Also, my INR, which is a blood clotting ratio level, was tested again today. The doctor started me on Coumadin last night, I had a 5 mg pill. Dr. Fischer informed me that he wants to see my INR level somewhere between 2 and 3 before they can let me go home!! Today the nurse came in and informed me that my INR level wasn't even 1! So, once again it was discouraging news. They upped my Coumadin level to 7 mg tonight in hopes that the higher dosage would get me to the levels I need to be in. All in all, the tests don't seem to be heading in the directions that I want and need them to be in in order for me to go home sooner.

All in all, it was a very very emotional day for me. I think all the news hit me like a Mack truck this afternoon. I was extremely tired all day long, and cried at the drop of a hat. I think the fact that this was truly a "life-threatening" problem, hit me today. After I got the results of the CT, I just cried and cried and cried. Thank God Dan was here, he just sat and held me and let me cry. I then called my mom with the results I had and cried some more. I'm scared. I'm truly scared, I don't really know what to do anymore! I'm doing everything they tell me to do, and I guess I just hoped for faster results than I'm seeing. Please just keep me in your prayers. I'm hoping for some miracles and to be heading home by Thursday.

4 comments:

Katers said...

Oh Amy! My heart goes out to you! We are planning on stopping by this evening, if that's okay!

McGuff said...

Amy~ I could just cry for you! I can not begin to imagine what you are going through so I won't say that I understand, because I don't! Just keep the faith and know that we are all praying for you and we all love you! You are strong and you are a fighter! You can call me anytime you need to chat. Phil is on nights so don't worry about waking him up and the boys wouldn't hear it if it rang right next to their heads let alone across the hall. I am here if you need me.
Love you!!

Molly

Jean said...

Those stinkin' clots! It can take a while for those bleeding times to correct. At least you're in the best place for them to tweak it!What was your INR today?
Maybe you can use the boring times at the hospital to brush up on your pathophys? I'll give you a topic... Guillain-Barre syndrome was neither discovered by Ozzie Guillen nor by little men wearing berets (even though it sounds like it). Discuss.

Unknown said...

Ohh, that sister of mine. Hey Amy, just thinking of you and checking in. Hope you're feeling OK and keeping your spirits up. Love from MN...