Saturday, May 31, 2008

A deep breath of relief, and a fresh breeze of optimism

I got my grades Thursday and passed all my classes! Thank God. Thats the sigh of relief!

I also headed downtown to Northwestern Memorial this past Thursday and met with a hematologist there. Immediatly I was given hope. I told him that my doc here said I'd be on coumadin for life and thats pretty much the way of the world, and that I was not happy with that option! They sat me down and informed me that Coumadin didn't really ever work for me, and that's probably why I had a reoccurance. They said if you looked at my INR numbers throughout the 7 months, I was never really in therapuetic ranges. They told me that my doctors should not have given me the leeway of a one month between blood draws, and most importantly....it was nothing I did wrong. Which was not the feeling I had gotten from my hematologist here at SAMC.

They are taking me off the Coumadin!!! Yeah!! I will be taking an injection every day for a year, it's another low molecular weight heparin, similar to lovenox, but not lovenox. They will finally be able to test some other tests, maybe find out some answers. It looks like long term anti coagulation therapy is one year, then a re-evaluation. Sounds to me a lot like better then a coumadin for life! Honestly, I left this doctors office with a whole new outlook. I felt better, there was actually hope....

5 comments:

Katers said...

That is some GREAT news Amy! We are so happy for you!

Unknown said...

I am glad to hear you got some positive news!

Jean said...

Congratulations on passing your classes! I knew you could do it!
Have they ever discussed an IVC filter for you?

McGuff said...

YEA!! I am so happy for you. That was a really good idea to get a second opinion!

Anonymous said...

Well written article.