Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Follow the List!!!

Oh my....Dan had his first solo trip to the grocery store this past weekend. What an experience...I had to work, hence why Dan headed to the store alone. He had a list, a specific list of what to buy, so...how is it we end up with so much "other stuff?" There were three things on that list that I really wanted, then a couple things that we needed. The three major things were....a dish rack, a three or four drawer set to put under counter, and mosticolli noodles. I came home from work at 4am to find the counters and cabinets full. Yet, I don't see my drawer set, and I do find a CASE, full case of tangerines!!! What? Those weren't on the list. Next I open the cabinet to find, not one, but two...5lb bags of flour, 2-5lb bags of sugar, 3 cans of veggies, carrots, mixed and corn! Now mind you, flour was on the list, but only 5 lbs, sugar was not on the list, canned veggies were on the list; corn, green beans, and peas (no carrots or mixed veggies). He had bought not one but two napkin holders. One because it had a hole set, napkin, paper towel holders, and salt and pepper shakers. We have all the other stuff, we just needed a napkin holder!

When Dan woke up the next day, I questioned his shopping motives...His response, "it was on sale, honey!" When I asked where the missing items were, his response was..."the cart was full honey, so I just thought they weren't necessary!" So, I had to remind Dan that we were only two people and bigger isn't always better, and the reason he has a list to follow is so that we can avoid a second trip to the store. Lucky for us, we were able to return all of the unwanted items (except the tangerines) to Meijer, with little hassle and he learned how to follow the list. Hopefully next time will be better.

I know we've all had our days when we've missed that one thing we truly need and we all have days where we buy more than was necessary, but...I thought this was so funny. He was so proud of himself. I'm glad he did the shopping and is learning and I honestly don't think that he purposely screwed up so that he wouldn't have to go back. He's learning to become more independent, because he's never had to be.

No comments: