Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I hate Winter!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, So....I had my first anatomy lab test this afternoon. Last night, I hoped and prayed for a school closing due to the weather. I woke up this morning to check the Harper website and it says....morning classes on, check after 10am for news about afternoon classes. Being that my class is at 1100 and my lab at 140pm, I figured I'd check back... But, do I leave early due to the icky weather...(it was snowing and blowing and really yucky with about two inches already) or do I wait and check the website at 10 that way I might not have to leave at all. I chose option number 2. Alas...afternoon classes are on, decisions will be made by 3pm for evening classes. UGH!!!!!!! Now I have to drive through this crap. Harper's excuse..."unlike K-12, we have the ability to make school closing decisions throughout the day and we don't have to close for the entire day"

My answer to this response was....unlike K-12, all your students have to drive to school!!!!!!!!!!

So, needless to say, I drive through all the crap and know that it's only going to get worse as the day goes on!!! I get to Harper at about 1110, not too bad...only ten minutes late, and I didn't have to look for a parking spot which in and of itself is a miracle because usually you have to follow someone from the door to their car and then wait for them to leave.

I go running into class, removing my coat, hat, and gloves before I enter the lecture hall in order to keep my entrance as quiet as possible. Lucky for me, half the class was empty, so I was able to slide into an empty seat in the back row and quiety take out my notes...it wasn't too hard to catch up. Now, as I said earlier, half the class was empty...was this because of the weather or because we had our first lab test and it was everyones last ditch effort to study. I'll go with number 2. SO, on the lecture goes...topic for the next test not even remotely connected with the stuff we need to know for later this afternoon, so therefore no one in class, including me, is paying any form of attention to what he's saying, so he says about half and hour early..."alright, I'm done, no one is paying any attention to me anyways. You guys just keep studying for your test this afternoon. If you don't know it by now, you won't. I'll see half of you at 140 and the rest of you at 330."

So, I head to the lab and sit and wait. I studied nice and hard and hoped and prayed that I was ready to go. The professor let us in about 10 minutes early, I put all my stuff away and went at the test with full gusto! Halfway through the test, he anounces that we all must be done by 3pm, because the school is closing. Now, normally we have lab until 320. I finished the test in about an hour and handed it in. Then I had to venture out to my car and dig it out of the yucky snow and head back home. So, due to Harper's stupid rules, I had to drive through the crappy weather twice and take my test. While the other class got to sit at home and not take their test! Go Figure!!!

I'm really not to impressed with Harper college at this time. I don't think they had the concerns of their students in mind, when they decided to keep classes open today. UGH!!

3 comments:

Katers said...

That is absolutely rediculous!! (sp?). You should send them a note, Harper is down the road from us and I know that the roads were a mess all day! Glad to see you made it there and back safely!

Unknown said...

That really sucks! Of course me, being part of the k-12, was happy to not have to venture out into it all.

Unknown said...

Hey Amy,
So... I'm dreadfully embarrassed. I do not know how this happened, but I had NO idea you had a blog. I know, I am a doofus. I apologize because I DEFINITELY would have commented before today!!! I owe you some back-comments. I'm so sorry to have been out of the loop until now!
And I'm real sorry about the snowstorm, too, though that one is not my fault.